Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Back to basics...the griddle!

Back to the cutting board & menu development...(this really sucks)- after reviewing my paperwork from Mr. Health Department Dude, the ONLY cooking equipment that I will have the privilege of burning myself on, is: ...wait for it...wait for it... The fucking GRIDDLE!!!

I haven't cooked on one of those bad boys in at least 20 years - at around the time that I worked at Morgan Stanley "Executive" kitchen. And that takes us back to early 90's -"The limelight years" aka the ecstasy years, I only vaguely remember arriving at Morgan Stanley (still rolling on "E" and club attire) much less what I actually did when I arrived. I'm not even sure if I cooked on a griddle/grill- as I was titled "Garde Manger" and then later "Saucier". With the assumption that eggs were being served and other breakfast items - I may or not have cooked on one of these. Perhaps in remembrance of all the burned and/or very overdone eggs that still haunt me - I think I may have,but my gray matter has diminished and from what I recall, although the pain of making eggs with the possibility of one day being a short order cook was so terrifying it seems as if I have selectively forgotten parts of my history and now I am doomed to repeat it- I might have griddled a thing or two, if not professionally at least to satisfy a late night carnivorous craving of greasy artery clogging protein... Damn it, now I really wish that I had paid a little more attention to "griddle cooking discussions" at Houlihans happy hour - and a little less to HOT bartender with a great ass!!!

I cannot change the past (nor would I, of what I remember it was fun) its time to man up, grow a pair - grab the bull by the horns & then by the balls, throw it on the grill and make some "carne assada"... I can do this, I can't fry an egg but I can make Coq au vin, Bouillabaisse, Paelha, Feijoada" but how will I make them on a fucking GRIDDLE? ...

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment